The curriculum at Discovery offers a stimulating, nurturing and safe environment in which pupils can develop socially, emotionally, physically and intellectually. It is focused on ensuring that pupils are effective communicators, supporting their learning with objects of reference, Makaton, visual cues and communication aids.
The academy aims to help every child develop as successful, happy and independent learners by:
- providing a broad and balanced curriculum;
- providing a safe, caring and stimulating learning environment, with a variety of educational experiences, that increases the range of pupils’ educational achievements;
- providing a personalised approach to learning that caters for all needs and learning styles;
- ensuring a thematic, cross curricular and flexible approach to curriculum planning underpinned by developmental and sensory curriculum foundations;
- developing a learning journey based on personal outcomes and intentions drawn from a range of sources and expertise to ensure progression for each pupil according to their needs;
- using a wide range of academic and therapeutic areas, both inside and outside, and a range of state of the art resources that support learning and emotional wellbeing; and
- promoting equal opportunities and providing access to all areas of the curriculum.
Central to the success of the curriculum is the use of therapeutic approaches. All therapies are considered an important part of your child’s education and will be carefully planned with specialists working together. The whole team working with your child work together to encourage independence, provide opportunities for greater access to the curriculum and promote the development of children’s physical and social wellbeing.